Sunday, July 30, 2017

Book Review: "Emma in the Night" by Wendy Walker

"Emma in the Night" by Wendy Walker.  I have previously read and enjoyed a Wendy Walker mystery, "All Is Not Forgotten". Her newest book is being released August 8, 2017 and what a stunner it is.

This is one of the best books I've read this year. It's a rare 5 1/2 stars. In other words, it's better than The Best, it's stunning, memorable and for me, life changing. It's foundation is built upon what it's like to live with someone with Narcissistic Personality Disorder and how living with that person damages your inner spirit.

Yes, the basis of this book sounds dark and depressing and there are parts that are just that. On the flip side, it is incredibly exciting to read about a character who wins her life back from the brink of destruction. 

Cass was fifteen and her sister Emma was seventeen when they disappeared one night. Three years later Cass is back and insisting that someone has to help her sister! She tells her mother and the FBI a harrowing story of kidnapping, lies and betrayal. She claims she had to leave her sister on an island with their kidnappers as she ran to try and get help. But it's been three years, why did it take her all this time to break free and why didn't Emma come with her? The FBI's forensic psychiatrist Dr. Abby Winter along with her partner will have to tease out the truth from all of Cass's words because time is running out.

I have never read a fictitious book that had such insight into the narcissistic mind. Within the first few pages of "Emma In The Night" it is revealed that Cass's mother, Mrs. Martin, is a narcissist. The book goes on to tell a riveting story of how that undiagnosed condition afflicted her family. Wendy Walker is a talented story teller but what elevated the book for me was the learning that happened organically just by reading the pages. If you've ever wanted to understand psychopathy and narcissistic personality disorder then this is THE book to teach you.

The expert writing and critical thinking of the author made every word count on the page. Even the cadence of the words, the minimal use of contractions, made Cass's speeches sound both so harrowing and matter-of-fact. Truly an incredible job of story telling that I wish every person would take the time to read. In these current times of President Donald Trump, I think it behooves us all to learn what makes the United States' President tick. This is the book to help you understand all by just reading a spectacular mystery that flows like water down a hill. Don't miss this one, it's staggeringly well written and magnificently enjoyable.

Best,

I'm reading: Book Review: "Emma in the Night" by Wendy WalkerTweet this Post

1 comment:

  1. Jenn I wish I read more! One thing I have been itching to do for a long time is to write a book. In fact, I started one in my mid 20's, but never finished it! One day I hope to either pick it up again or start a new one... I need another me to fit it all in!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment, I've sure missed hearing from you!

Amazon

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
^ Scroll to Top