Friday, November 7, 2014

AEDM Day Eight

(Click to Enlarge)
This was such a fun drawing for me. I'm really trying to loosen up my style and I think I've hit on something I love. I can't believe I can finally say that I think I'm finding my own style, FINALLY!!! YAY! It's been a long road of not knowing what my art should look like or how I even wanted it to look. With this semester of Sketchbook Skool I seem to be finding my feet under me. This week I should be learning some wonderful new techniques and skills with Cathy Johnson. She's a spectacular teacher and has written so many books. I discovered today that I already own one of hers and have added it to my reading list for this week. 

The book is "Artist's Journal Workshop". Up to now, I don't think I've actually read it much at all, I certainly don't remember even perusing it. The spine isn't broken in at all. Hmmm. I'm  not that surprised, actually. I'm a very visual person and when I'm confused about a subject, words just make it worse. Now that I have learned the basics about journalling, watercolors, color mixing etc., I think I'll find the book illuminating. I'm actually going through my whole art book library slowly. Now that I'm not so confused about what I'm trying to achieve, reading about art is much more enjoyable. On the other hand, I so totally want Tommy Kane's book "An Excuse To Draw". No only because he's an amazing artist, but because I respond best to visual learning and his book is nearly ALL visual.

Anyway, I used a Tombow dual tip water-soluble pen for the outline of the pinecone, then I added paint. I used a dark brown-black made by mixing burnt sienna + ultramarine then I mixed some burnt sienna and yellow ochre until I got a few different browns. I really splashed the paint around and when it was almost dry, I scrubbed a few bits to bring out the highlights better. Then after it all dried I re-inked it, added some low burnt red tones using watercolor pencils in the shadows and also used a Sharpie water-based white pen to up the highlights a little. Tada, one pinecone. I'll be doing two more to really look at the pinecone all the way around, so to speak. This is entered into AEDM, day eight. Yay, I'm keeping up, although only by minutes. ;o)

Later Gator.
Best,




If you're looking for this week's APR just click here.
I'm reading: AEDM Day EightTweet this Post

5 comments:

  1. Love your sketch. I am trying to draw every day, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the style of this--thanks for sharing it via Art Every Day Month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can feel your pain when it comes to finding your own style and sometimes (many times) when I see an art piece that I really like I want to try that style and see if it would suite me better! Haha! But, I most often go back to one type of drawing and it feels good. Painting is still something new for me so I like that you describe your process. I love your pinecone with it’s varied tones and I love to outline so I am drawn to that. Very nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have such great perspective and detail here. With pine cones all over the place right now and my little Shamus bringing them in the house when I'm not looking, I can really appreciate this painting! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is stunning, Jenn. I really like the drawing, but the shading and coloring are what drew me in. It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment, I've sure missed hearing from you!

Amazon

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
^ Scroll to Top