Thursday, February 16, 2017

Don't Count Your Chickens...

...before they're hatched. I thought I'd do a more precise piece of art this time. I guess I'm feeling a bit out of control as of late. Although I'm exercising, both cardio and weights and eating between 800 and 1000 calories, I'm not losing weight very quickly. This is my only way of controlling how I deal with the cancer and losing so slowly is seriously messing with my brain. I'm guessing that's why I want to micro-control my artwork today. 

In the end, I don't think the egg carton looks controlled, it looks, happily, like my style. YAY, I have a style! But the roundness of the eggs and the blocky, textured construction of the carton was going to take some serious finesse, I knew that going in.
Title: "Don't Count Your Chickens"
(Cllick to Enlarge)
I have to say, I'm absolutely thrilled with how it turned out. I ended up using buff titanium mixed with neutral tint and it gave the best kind of oatmeal-ish color. I'm just so happy that I'm tackling projects that I've put off. I really didn't think I could accomplish these pieces, I didn't think my skill had gotten to the level needed to capture egg cartons, tulips or daffodils. Who knew taking six  months off painting could improve my skill set??

On a fun note though I'll post a GREAT chicken recipe below. I've just started (at the beginning of this year) using an Instant Pot but I'm totally addicted to the appliance already, lol. This recipe is SO easy and tastes fantastic. It makes about two cups of totally delicious sauce that works out to only have 5 calories per tablespoon! Anyway, I thought a chicken recipe would be appropriate to go with the eggs... I wonder which came first? ;o)

Jenn’s Barbecue Sauce Chicken

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup ketchup (250ml) (we make our own tomato jam, low sugar)
6 pieces sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained & minced (or half a small jar)
2 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 c Splenda
1/2 c minced onion (or a 1/4 c onion flakes)
1 Tbsp minced garlic (generous)
3/4 c bone broth (you can use any broth or even water if necessary)
2 tsp smoked sweet Paprika
1 Tbsp honey
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tsp pure cranberry juice (eliminate if unavailable)
2 tsp white wine
4-5 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs (Kirkland)

For After Sauce & Chicken is Cooked:
1 Tbsp our mustard (use a grainy mustard)
1 Tbsp dijon (heaping)
2 Tbsp cornstarch + 1/4 c water (scant) to make slurry

DIRECTIONS:
  1. Put instant pot on sauté and cook the onion, add a little broth if it’s sticking to bottom.
  2. Mix all other ingred. except chicken in bowl and pour into instant pot after turning off sauté function. Stir until incorporated.
  3. Add chicken and immerse it all in sauce.
  4. Set instant pot on manual for 7 minutes.
  5. Let cook then wait 10 min and do an quick release.
  6. Remove chicken, turn on sauté, add cornstarch slurry. Whisk until thickened.
  7. Add the other ingred. after sauce has thickened, whisk until incorporated.
  8. Let cool. Sauce has 5 calories per Tbsp. (calories may be slightly higher if using normal ketchup)
I'll be linking to Paint Party Friday, there are some seriously good artists over there!
Best,

I'm reading: Don't Count Your Chickens...Tweet this Post

15 comments:

  1. LOve your egg carton, fantastic. Hope your healing/weight loss kicks in and shows some progress. Love the look of the recipe, I have added it to
    my folder. Thanks. Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Dear Jenn, well you've done a really good job of your eggs in the carton. So lifelike I can almost feel that cardboardy texture! Beaut to read how you mixed the colours too.
    I bet it does feel great to be getting back into projects once more!
    Thanks too for that seriously yummy chicken recipe - I mean, there are so many ways to do chicken and here you are you've given another one! I shall give hubby a surpise with this one instead of the same old same old ;D)
    Cheerio and Happy PPF :D) 🐔 🌻

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your eggs look so fresh and are so well painted. Thanks for the recipe!
    Happy PPF xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your sketch - it's so life like!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it, too, how your painting turned out. The texture of the egg carton is fantastic.
    Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it that it doesn't look too controlled. It's very well done in my opinion. I'm so sorry to read about your cancer diagnosis. I think you're very brave for speaking about it, and I hope painting will give you a way of dealing with it. And you know what they say about losing weight: the harder it is to get if off and the slower it goes, the more chance you have of keeping it off!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Jenn your eggs in the carton is absolutely amazing!!! You have a great attitude and humor and that will get you through. Thanks for the recipe too. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, trying to be humorous makes everything easier. Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  8. Jenn, what a wonderful painting of brown eggs in a carton. You nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I just love your amazing sketch. I have loved eggs my whole life...when in doubt have an egg. Sadly my daughter is allergic to them. This style is truly wonderful too!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  10. you amazed me with your finishing!

    your chicken and eggs are so perfect .
    you are wonderful artist dear!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well your recipe sounds divine! My husband likes cooking main meals... I prefer to bake puddings myself, but my mouth is watering! Meanwhile your eggs are really 'cracking'! I once sketched some eggs in a box using ink wash... Tricky subject, that's for sure! But you 'cracked' it! Eggsellent! ;0)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment, I've sure missed hearing from you!

Amazon

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
^ Scroll to Top