Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Book Review: "The Name of the Star" & "The Madness Underneath" By Maureen Johnson

(First Book)
I've been reading a new series from Maureen Johnson and I'm loving it. So far there are three books in the Shades of London series, "The Name of the Star", "The Madness Underneath" and "The Shadow Cabinet". In the last four days I've read book one and two and I'm chomping at the bit for the review copy of "The Shadow Cabinet" to arrive on my doorstep. Until it arrives, I thought I'd tell all of you about this series so you too can get started on a set of books that will thrill both mystery and paranormal fans.

Maureen Johnson is a New York Times best selling author of young adult fiction. Her excellent writing style is eminently readable by both teens and adults. I found myself surprised that the books were geared toward young adult, only because the writing was in no way dumbed down. Never did I find myself thinking that the author sacrificed plot to make the story simpler for younger readers. Johnson's books are considered YA, in my opinion, because there are no offensive sex scenes and her writing style is so smooth and easy to digest (but not unsophisticated).

(Second Book)
When I did some research on this Edgar-Nominated series before agreeing to review the latest book, I got the impression that I would love these books like I loved the Harry Potter books by J.K Rowling. I was both right an wrong. I do love this Shades of London series but in a different way that I loved Harry Potter. Johnson's writing has a sophistication that even exceeds Rowling's writing style. I loved the Potter series because they were so fun, I love this series  not only because the mysteries are fun but also because Johnson's style is so smooth that I don't feel like I'm reading a "younger" book.

The main character, Rory Deveaux, starts out as a "fish out of water" character. She is a seventeen year old American who has moved to London from Louisiana to go to a posh boarding school. Rory has so much to learn, from the new lexicon to what to wear in colder and rainier London along with getting used to new classes and friends. The day she arrives is also the day that a serial murderer begins his work. The media dub him the New Jack The Ripper because his first murder closely mimics the original Ripper's murder in 1888. The city of London is gripped by Rippermania, people are not only frightened but also fascinated by the horrific murders. 

There are no leads and the Police are stumped. Who is recreating these terrible crimes? Although there are many CCTV cameras throughout London, nothing is caught on film, there are no witnesses until Rory sees someone outside her boarding school. The problem is The Ripper also saw Rory and now she's his next target.

I highly recommend these books, they deserve a true five out of five. The second book, "The Madness Underneath" flows directly from the first, as though the story never ended. Anyone who loves a good mystery with some paranormal leanings will love this series. The reviews on the first two books are excellent and fans have been waiting almost three years for the newest book, "The Shadow Cabinet", to arrive. Today (February 10, 2015) is the publication date for Maureen Johnson's highly anticipated third installment of The Shades of London Series. I don't think you could do better than to go out and buy these books. They will keep you warm and happy through these winter nights. All you need is some popcorn and a good cup of coffee and you'll have the perfect trifecta. Happy Reading!

Best,

I'm reading: Book Review: "The Name of the Star" & "The Madness Underneath" By Maureen JohnsonTweet this Post

0 Comments / Click to Comment:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment, I've sure missed hearing from you!

Amazon

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
^ Scroll to Top