Monday, August 4, 2014

All Gooses All The Time!

Ok, so this week's teacher at SBS is Roz Stendahl and she's an expert at drawing animals. You should have seen her live model demonstration video. She went to the home of a parrot owner (I think the parrot was a sun conure) and showed us how she goes about capturing the essence of the animal. I've always been trepidatious, to say the least, about drawing animals. I mean, let's admit it, for a variety of reasons they're HARD. They move around or have unusual poses when sleeping, etc, etc, etc.

(Click to Enlarge)
This week I must admit, I was both dreading and secretly excited about the lessons, hoping I'd get a few gems about just how to successfully draw creatures. Well, let me  tell you, Roz is an excellent, super amazing, thorough and engaging teacher. Wow. I've hardly ever, in the past, drawn animals. But with the cool little tips like plumb lines, negative space and relational measurements Roz has given me confidence to try to draw animals.

(Click to Enlarge)
I started with a pencil to get the general shape, then went in with a pen. In the end though, I realized why so many artists use brush pens. When I picked up mine (which I almost never use) I found that I got so much more expressive lines than with my normal pen. I'll remember to use a brush pen every time I draw animals from now on. I know my next homework is supposed to be all about drawing a pet but I don't have a pet! Do you think my apartment manager would understand if I said I had to get a puppy so I could do my homework? I think I have a shot, don't you? ;o)


Anyway, I'll figure it out. Maybe I'll go chase the bunnies around the park because damn, I'm not doing ducks, lol, enough with the birds already. Unless I'm forced not to draw from life and I decide to break the rules and use the pictures I have of my previous pet parrot, Berkley. We'll see, I don't want to break the rules but unless Roz considers the dust bunnies as "live animals" I kind of have a problem. 

Talk soon my friends!
Best,




If you're looking for this week's APR just click here.
I'm reading: All Gooses All The Time!Tweet this Post

0 Comments / Click to Comment:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment, I've sure missed hearing from you!

Amazon

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
^ Scroll to Top