Wednesday, September 22, 2010

An Imperfect Life

I have a new painting to showcase and I also finally completed the sunflower I've had kicking around here for weeks waiting to brought into the colorful life. Let's do the sunflower first, shall we?

Name: "The Sunflower"
size: 5x7

This little guy is a mixture of mediums. I used copic markers for the background and leaves then added watercolors to the petals and center. I like the center for this flower more than the one I did for the daisies so long ago but I'm still not totally happy with it. It's so hard to capture the look of pollen and seeds. The shading and curve of the middle is really difficult to capture accurately.

The main piece I have to show I'm really happy with. It came out just as I hoped it would. The concept behind it is how we organize our thoughts and memories in virtual "boxes" in our mind. We can go to those places and pull out memories any time we want. I was thinking about this when the concept for this painting came to me. I thought that in reality, those boxes never stay neat and organized. They influence and affect each other in unexpected ways. One memory triggering another, sometimes it seems, randomly. It made me think of how Life is imperfect, but still beautiful. I hope that makes some sense, lol. What I did to capture my idea in paint was to make boxes on the paper and fill them each with their own color. Then, for some of them, I allowed the color next to it to influence it's neighbor. It's subtle but I think it turned out beautifully. :o) The title of the piece is "Imperfect Life".


I'm going to get on to both opening my Etsy store and organizing my sketchbook for the sketchbook project. I'm thinking I'll do 10 full pages, paint them, fold each of them in half and bind them together. Then I'll go back and do other artwork on the blank half pages that get created from the backs of the full pages. I sure hope that works. I still have no idea what to do about the cover. Anyone have any suggestions??

Anyways, it's bedtime, see you all soon!
I'm reading: An Imperfect LifeTweet this Post
blog comments powered by Disqus

Amazon

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
^ Scroll to Top