Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Happy, Happy. Joy, Joy!!


1. don't stop believing, 2. Habanero splash, 3. 2009 Challenge 32/365 - Color: Red, 4. torn

It was a red letter weekend, which inspired my mosaic. Here's what I did to make me so happy. I threw a dinner party for family! Two of my mom's siblings (Aunt Mic & Uncle Bob) came over for a fantastic dinner which consisted of Moose stew! Yep, I made moose stew successfully. No Palin jokes, please. Seriously, I know I can't see Russia from my house! Here's the recipe I made up as I went, which turned out so well we all made rude slurping noises. Hehehe.

Moose Stew
serves 4-6
Ingredients:
2 1/2 lb Moose meat, cut into 1inch cubes 
2 tbsp Olive Oil (or shortening) 
1/4 tsp black pepper 
1/2 tsp Paprika 
1 Bay leaf 
2 cans Condensed beef broth (~10 ounces each) 
1 can condensed apple juice 
1/2 can water 
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 lg Onion; diced 
3 Carrots; sliced 
18 small Whole white onions 
12 small New potatoes 
2 Tbsp Butter 
2 Tbsp Flour 
1 pkg onion soup mix 

Directions:
1. Make a dredge for the moose cubes by adding approx. 1/2 
cup of flour to a baggie plus salt & pepper to taste. Throw the 
meat into the bag and shake. 
2. Saute meat cubes, diced onion and carrots in the hot olive 
oil until meat is brown on all sides but not cooked and onion
somewhat is caramelized. 
3. Add  the meat mixture and pepper, paprika, bay leaf, 
vinegar, onion soup mix, beef broth, apple juice & optional 
red wine to a slow cooker. Cover and simmer until meat is 
tender, at least 2-4 hours. 
4. Add whole onions and potatoes to a roasting pan and
add olive oil and s&p to taste, then roast for an hour, or 
until the vegetables are  tender. Add to stew.
5. Mix butter and flour into a paste. Drop into simmering stew. 
Cook, stirring, until stew bubbles and thickens. Serve with 
plain white rice or polenta.

Notes:
-1 cup Dry red wine could replace one can of broth, I didn't and the recipe was terrific without it.
-recipe also works with beef.
-we added a sprinkle of oregano and thyme after a few hours to help cut the sweetness of the apple juice.

If you want to join in the fun with Flickr Favorites Tuesday Mosaic Day just go to Artmind's blog after you make a mosaic using this site (just go find a bunch of great pics, throw them in your Flickr favorites folder then go over to the site and upload them from your flickr account favorites, it's that easy!). You can add a border to your mosaic here

New stuff coming soon. Talk later?  :o) 

I'm reading: Happy, Happy. Joy, Joy!!Tweet this Post

5 comments:

  1. I loooooove that STOP sign! What a cool idea.
    Once upon a time, before I moved from Argentina to The Netherlands, Mr Husband (dutch) and moiself, we wanted to move to Canada... it just looks like a nice place where to be... and eating moose!~HA! excellent... one day I will try that.
    Nice a family dinner... my kinda thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. uhuhuh moose stew.... this sound very exotic from this side of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know about moose stew but your mosaic is a real treat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jenn, I came to say hello as you are new follower of ART IS TREE. :-) And what can I find here: Don't stop beleiving. Ahhh. Such a nice reminder. There are days when I need to repeat this 10 times. Or 100 times...?
    So thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moose stew? That's pretty a tough recipe to make for me in this nook of the world! Great that you had such a good time, Jennifer! I love happy! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment, I've sure missed hearing from you!

Amazon

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
^ Scroll to Top