Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I Am A Treehugger

So it's Tuesday again with Artmind. My contribution is a mosaic worshiping the tree. I love trees. It started early for me. When I was a little girl I thought I could hear the trees talk to me when I put my little arms around them and rested my cheek against their bark. I imagined that they would whisper their secrets to me as they rustled their leaves. It made me happy to walk among the huge trees in the Old Growth Forest of BC.



To me, there are few things as majestic and beautiful than a tree, arms outstretched. Of course, there is the well known verse by Joyce Kilmer that starts with "I think I shall never see...". But many a wordsmith has had something to say about trees, and I must agree with them. Here are a few.

The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing that stands in the way. Some see Nature all ridicule and deformity, and some scarce see Nature at all. But to the eyes of the man of imagination, Nature is Imagination itself.
- William Blake

I frequently tramped eight or ten miles through the deepest snow to keep an appointment with a beech-tree, or a yellow birch, 
or an old acquaintance among the pines.
- Henry David Thoreau


On the subject of art, I've been waylaid lately from doing as much as I'd like. I have started making ATC's at night, since I finally received the blank ATC watercolor papers I ordered a month ago. Here are a couple...

 

I will also soon be acquiring my own set of Copic markers! :o)  I'm pretty excited. It took a long time to figure out exactly what I wanted and what I might have to sacrifice to make them work the way I want them to. For their purpose, I might have to switch papers. I'm not gonna say how I want to use them, that'll be a surprise, but I will say I think it's going to be amazing.  Copics are just so good I can't see using another marker. So, I might have to switch to a less absorbent paper when I work with them. Before going that route though, I'm going to try to find some sort of spray fixative that might seal the paper from being so absorbent. We'll see. I'll keep you informed of my progress. Think of it like a secret project. Hehehehe. I'm the mad scientist, errr... I mean, artist!

Oh, and I've been working on a baby cake that's due (the cake, that is...) in less than a week. So, I'll be posting the topper and also a picture of the completed cake by Sunday. Think of this announcement like a trailer for a movie. Hehehe. (Out in theaters on Sunday!!!)

Anyhoo, talk at ya'all later, K?

I'm reading: I Am A TreehuggerTweet this Post

8 comments:

  1. That is so cute that you thought the trees were whispering to you. We are so lucky to enjoy such large old growth forests here on the island :) Your quotes reminded me of one of our favorite books to, The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein. I love reading it to the kids :)

    Great mosaic and have fun playing with your copic markers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love trees too. Don't know about Copic markers as I'm not much of a drawer. I know I would love to have 'em just for the colors! :)
    Can't wait to see what you're up to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great - don't forget to share =) I love trees as well - we don't have much "green" in the eyes here at the middle east I always thought that is why we are lovin' it so much =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the zentangle ATCs! It's always so exciting to get new papers and other crafty stuff in the mail. A few months ago, I ordered about $100 worth of papers and ephemera from etsy. Those were a wonderful few days of checking the mail!!

    APlusAmigurumi from swap-bot

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there! I really like your blog - I'm not a good painter myself but I find it so cool and inspiring to read about artwork and crafts outside of my realm.

    I was just thinking today how much I love trees, as I could see the leaves finally growing in and smell the fresh scent of magnolia...

    --Emmanemhandmade on swapbot

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also love trees, especially naked ones - I now have quite a collection of photographs that Husband dearest has taken over the years, perhaps one day I'll post them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are absolutely right trees are spectacular. They let us know the changing season, clean the air we breathe, they shelter us from the elements. They do not get enough credit! Not to mention how absolutely beautiful they are!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! I wanted to thank you for the gorgeous postcard you sent. The painting was so beautiful and well done. Green is my favorite color! The packaging was so much fun, and I loved receiving it in the mail. Thank you again and again!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment, I've sure missed hearing from you!

Amazon

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
^ Scroll to Top